Wednesday, October 19, 2011

"Style Mapping"

     My first observation will be from the author Jenny Downham using the book Before I Die. Her language is blunt and familiar. She gets straight to the point in the first sentence let alone the first page. The first sentence grabs your attention. It simply states, I wish I had a boyfriend. It is more harsh than it is musical I would say. My second expert is from the book The Luxe by Anna Godbersen. This book takes place in the 1800's so naturally the diction and language is more formal and musical. Although it can be harsh the language she uses is high and elegant. It is conclusive that her style of writing is high and connotative. My final exerpt was from the novel The Brambles by Eliza Minot. She is a desriptive and inticate writer. She uses a language right off the bat that is scholary and elevated. Even though she uses a high language it has at the same time a hamonious and sweet sound to it. All of these books are so unique, and there are a whole variety of dictions.

No comments:

Post a Comment